Thursday, August 7, 2008

I was With the Program Until I Reached Chapter III-2

Deep into Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, the author and I were on the same page (if you will) until I got to the chapter titled "Eat Food: Food Defined".

The book exposes the evils of our industrialized food chain, and this chapter revealed Pollan's full agenda -- to solely eat whole food. I think it was his reference to eating as our great-grandmas ate that flashed the amber light for me. I didn't know my great-grandma, but I imagine food was something she labored over up to six hours a day, every day, except the sabbath which she probably thanked God for each Friday as the sun went down.

I know I don't have to slaughter my own chicken or draw well water, but the thought of cooking everything from scratch, not to mention dealing with the shorter shelf life of whole food is daunting. I work, have hobbies, friends, and cable. My mental picture of a total dedication to whole foods is one where women's lib is set back 80 years.

I can see social advantages to some packaged food. The convenience frees us all to do other things. I'll probably keep my kitchen at around 80% wholeness, as long as the convenience foods on my shelves don't have high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated fats or any varieties of MSG. And I'll keep buying my meat directly from local farmers. Happy livestock don't cost me anything but a few extra dollars.

Sorry if I disappoint you, Michael Pollan, but you really hit a nerve with that great-grandma thing.

No comments: