Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Now even the Cat Needs to shop at Whole Foods

It's enough to think about what's in people food without the added burden of pet food. Articles are coming online now about glutamate, animal by-products and unregulated foreign ingredients going into pet food and these are not good things.

At home, along with Princess Dog and One-Hundred Percent Dog, we also have a gray, striped tabby: Poochy Boy. I don't have a picture right now, but here's a reasonable facsimile of what he would look like if he were solid white, thinner, and drunk.


(I know this picture isn't in the general domain, but darn if I can find the right owner to give credit.)







Anyway, Poochy Boy needs to change over to a special renal diet, and when I looked at the local vet prescription food, the twice-the-cost-of-quality-pet-store food, the first ingredient was animal by-products.

In the wild cats eat their prey whole, by-products and all. But these pet food animal by-products can be anything, even FDA-rejected meats. If I'm going to pay fillet mignon prices for cat food I don't want the main component to be some leftover, unlabeled, rejected ingredient.

So now I have to source some good quality critter food. A lofty project for a cat that eats catnip off the living room carpet.

2 comments:

Yasashiikuma said...

Is there any objection to feeding natural? I know there are a couple of sites that give equivalents for the canine special diets - maybe you can find the equivalent for the feline?

LG Mercer said...

No objection. I'd be happy to know the sites. Thanks!