Friday, June 5, 2009

Free TV 101 - Part 5

Check below for Parts 1, 2 , 3 and 4

I discovered the remote is used to rotate the antenna inside the housing to get a better signal. I had assumed because it was omnidirectional it would work regardless of where it is located. Well that was the wrong idea. After playing with the remote for a while I quickly realized this was probably not the antenna I needed. After all, I wanted all the free stuff I could receive.

I was able get about 15 channels after fiddling around and moving the antenna to different locations. All of these turned out to be digital, and the analog stations still looked pretty lousy. I sat back in my easy chair and thought about what I wanted to try next.

The first question I had was how much do I have to spend for this project to get free TV? It’s certain that this particular antenna would not do the job I wanted. I looked on that wonderful WWW and found that Radio Shack had larger indoor/outdoor antennas that may work for me. I also discovered that digital signals are limited to about 60 miles. I looked on my handy printout and found that all the stations that were identified by antennaweb.org are within the 60 mile radius. I also discovered than the higher the antenna can go, the better the reception would be.

From everything I read, it didn’t matter whether it was inside or out. Maybe what I needed was something that will be able to go in the attic or outside on the roof. This meant that it was time to go back to The Shack for a return and new purchase.

We'll have a summary this weekend of the main points for anyone who wants to do-it-themselves, and I'll return on Monday with more meat and potatoes.

No comments: