Monday, June 8, 2009

Free TV 101 - Part 6

By Ward

When we left last week, I was testing out my new $60.00 Starship Enterprise-shaped table-to
p antenna. First, a few more notes about that table-top antenna. You remember I found that the remote was used to rotate the antenna inside the housing to get a better signal. The antenna wants you to set the locations for each channel as you tune it in. Then when you change the TV channel you have to rotate the antenna using the remote. I found this cumbersome, particularly since I had a number of different channels all at different locations. You may need to rescan the channels several times while setting this up.

I liked the possibility of using a larger indoor/attic/outdoor antenna. I thought about how much I was willing to spend on this project and the limit I set was $150.

Radio Shack took the Star Trek antenna back without a problem. I told them what I had tried and ask
ed for additional suggestions. They suggested several options but as for directional vs. omnidirectional, the decision was pretty simple. The folks at The Shack basically said to try the Frisbee-looking antenna next. I had looked at this one on the Internet. It had good reviews and can be used indoors, attic, or outdoors. I now had a $90 antenna and went back home to see how many additional channels I could get with this super Frisbee.

No comments: