Monday, September 15, 2008

Teaching the Cat what Food is

Poochy Boy and I faced off this weekend. The tally so far is CoffeeCrispLite: 0, PB: 2.

As I explained in an earlier blog entry, at 11 years old (which is 60 to another cat) I want to change The Pooch over to a healthier, wet cat food. On Saturday I bought home my carefully researched choice: Country Pet, which comes in frozen sausage form.



PB needs to be slowly weaned onto this delightful REAL food product, whose first ingredients are chicken, fish, beef and lamb; not chicken, brewers rice, poultry by-product and corn gluten meal like in Purina One. So for dinner, instead of crunchy crap, PB got ever such a slight serving of moist meat.

He had no idea what it was. For all he knew I had just put mud in his bowel. Which by-the-way, he would eat. He wouldn't eat this.

Veterinarian Lisa A. Pierson, on her web site, says any cat can be weaned onto wet food. You just have to be patient enough. Back at home, I tried heating it up, making a chip dip out of it with his regular food as the chip, mixing his regular food into the new one and mixing the new one into his regular food, none of which worked.

I then put a dab on The Pooch's paw. True to his cat-like powers of keen perception, he didn't even notice what I had done. Then he shook his paw and realized there was something there. He licked it off. He liked it. But when he was done, he lay down next to the bowl of new food and promptly ignored it again.

Tonight I will try Dr. Pierson's "tuna on top" and "Parmesan cheese" tricks. I also have one of my own ruses, sprinkling fresh-picked fescue grass on top -- sort of a California Style Feline Ragout.

1 comment:

Yasashiikuma said...

LOL!!!

Never try to outwit a cat! They'll make you pay for it forever :O)