Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Still Teaching the Cat What Food is

Today's tally:
CCLite: 0
PBoy: 3 (maybe).

At 6am, The Pooch (that's him on the left) gets 1/2 his daily food allotment in familiar dry form. By dinner he's hungry for more and that's when he gets the Country Pet wet, real food slid under his nose.

Last night I heated it up again. Oooh, smell that?

No reaction.

I sprinkled on the Parmesan which Dr. Lisa says cats love. No reaction.

I heated it up again. Cat food lasagna. I think I see Garfield drooling at the window. PB takes one sniff and turns away.

I mashed it some more; into a puree. I put some on his paw again. I dipped a kernel of hard food into it and offered him the chip dip.

Then I went outside and got the grass -- several blades of Grade A, Premium tall fescue -- PB's weakness. I put them on top of the wet food and gently pressed them into the mix. I left the kitchen and peeked in from the living room.

PB went for it. He dug out every blade and in the process, I figured he decided the food was good too. I thought I would cry for joy. But when he was done and I rushed in to check the result, the wet food was still there. That's where the "maybe" from this blog entry's opening paragraph comes in. Maybe he actually ate some of the wet food, or maybe I'm just being optimistic. Afterward he would eat no more.

Later that evening I tried pushing a piece of cooked chicken into the food, and finally dripped tuna juice over the whole concoction. It was still a no-go with PB, but by this time who could blame him since it really was just a microwaved, pureed, grass-stained, fish-smelling, cheese-smothered mess.

Which made a nice bite-size bedtime treat for the dogs.

No comments: